BECOME A YACHTS FOR SCIENCE AMBASSADOR AND SAVE OUR SEAS
WHY YACHTS ARE UNIQUELY PLACED TO HELP
- The ocean is our planet’s life support system.
- It regulates our planet’s climate, provides food security for billions, captures most of our anthropogenic heat and is the largest carbon store on our planet.
- But rather than supporting life on Earth, the ocean itself may soon need to be put on life support.
- We can’t protect what we don’t know.
- One of the most pressing challenges remains access to the sea to undertake critical research.
- A whole range of vessels with different capabilities can be suitable for marine research.
- Science programme and vessel will be featured in BOAT International and across digital media channels.
- Invitation to Yachts for Science events including BOAT International’s annual Ocean Talks at the Royal Geographical Society, London.
- Scientists will provide insights and expert guidance to maximise the owner’s/crew’s experience on location.
- Scientific partnership, particularly with host country scientists, can support
- Owners: To commit to allow your vessel to be used by a scientific team (minimum 2 people), for minimum of 2 weeks (over the first 12 month period).
- Operators: To promote Yachts for Science amongst your network to the benefit of the ocean.
- Both: Every twelve months, the YFS board will assess an Ambassador’s efforts and results and will either renew or renege the Ambassadorship accordingly.
HOW IT WORKS
- Yachts may register at any time for inclusion on the Yachts for Science database.
- Yachts will be contacted as soon as we have a suitable scientific project match to try and arrange a mission.
- The projects are then either matched with available yachts or held on record and matched with vessels if/when they become available.
- Yachts for Science connects the lead scientist with the yacht team directly to implement the project.Once a favourable match is made, both parties (representative for the boat and lead scientist) must sign a disclaimer before taking the mission further.
- Learn more about how to turn your boat into a research vessel here..